TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS – RAPPORTEURS
1. Introduction The Member States of the African Union adopted the African Union Convention on Preventing and Combating Corruption (AUCPCC) at the Second Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the Union held in Maputo (Mozambique), on 11th July 2003. The Convention entered into force on 5th August 2006, thirty (30) days after the deposit of the fifteenth (15th) instrument of ratification. To date Forty- Five (45) countries have ratified the Convention and are States Parties to it. The Convention, pursuant to Article 22(1) established the African Union Advisory Board on Corruption (AUABC or the Board) as a follow-up mechanism for the Convention with the following objectives;
i. Document and analyse corrupt activities;
ii. Advise the AU and member states on all matters relating to corruption;
iii. Monitor and report on implementation and compliance with the Convention; and
iv. Engage in advocacy and outreach to prevent corruption.
The Board through its 5-year Strategic Plan, implements various programmes and projects in order to meet the objectives highlighted above. Some programmes entail convening of high level meetings, workshops and training which attracts large gathering with a number of presentations. These meetings require production of proceedings report and event reports, as well as outcome statements within specified deadlines. The AUABC therefore would like to utilise the services of Rapporteurs to assist with rapportuering these events.
To facilitate this, the Board shall develop a database of professional and experienced rapporteurs who can be engaged to provide rapporteuring services.
2. Scope of Work
- Take complete notes of the proceedings including plenary discussions, parallel sessions as per template and instructions provided by AUABC;
- Consolidate all presentations, papers, notes/recording into the main report;
- Provide summaries of each session;
- Present draft report for input by all partners; and
- Present final report.
3. Duration and deliverables
The duration of the assignment shall depend on the nature and length of the meeting. The consultant shall be requested to consolidate notes, draft the report based on the presentations and discussions during the event, sessions, plenary, meetings and other directions provided by AUABC.
4. Place where services are to be delivered
The meetings may be virtual, physical or take a hybrid format. Where meetings shall be held physically, AUABC shall facilitate in-person attendance of the consultant. The Consulting Rapporteur will be given at least two weeks of notice prior the commencement of the event.
5. Working Schedule and Reporting
The work schedule and reporting timelines shall be agreed with the consultant and are typically as detailed below:
- For a one-day event, the report shall be required 2 days after event.
- For two-day event, the report shall be required 3 days after event.
- For a three- day event, the report shall be required 4 days after event.
The Rapporteurs shall be paid an amount of Three Hundred Dollars (300$) per day
7. Required expertise, qualifications and competencies, including language requirements:
Consultant Rapporteur must:
- Be highly qualified and proficient in spoken and written English or either spoken and written French
- Have a university degree from a recognised institution in Law, Economics, Communication, Political Science or any related courses.
- Have experience in policy analysis
- Have 5 years’ experience in report writing.
- Have good understanding governance issues and understanding of corruption and anti-corruption issues will be an added advantage.
- Use a neat, concise and clear style in writing
- Have experience in writing reports for any African Union Organ.
- Have experience in using innovative approaches using such as graphics, charts etc. to summarize key content.
8. How to apply
With submissions of CVs, consultants are expected to provide 3 examples of a report written for a meeting or workshop and at least 3 references for the rapporteuring work. Application modalities: Individual consultants are to submit the following to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org before 27th October 2021.
- A recent CV
- Samples of reports produced related to the TOR and references for the rapporteur work